Transform Fitspo may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.
Shine bright like a diamond everyday by showing off your dumbbell exercises!
Lose Fat FAST!
Drop 3 pounds in
just 3 days with this cheat sheet!
Front Dumbbell Raise
Front raises will work your trapezius as well as the back of your shoulders.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, holding a dumbbell in each hand by your side.
- Tense your core and slowly raise one arm up so it is straight out in front of you, with your palm facing the floor. Hold for 2-3 seconds. You should be tensing your trapezius and shoulder as you do this.
- Slowly lower the dumbbell back to your side. This is one rep.
- Repeat with the other arm.
Tricep Overhead Press
This is a great exercise for hitting your triceps and getting rid of bingo wings! This can cause quick tricep growth, spreading any fat out and adding definition to your arms.
- Stand with your feet shoulder width apart, holding one dumbbell in your two hands in front of you.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand, raising them above your head.
- Bend your arms, lowering the dumbbells behind your head.
- Tense your core and your triceps, slowly straightening your arms until the dumbbells are raised straight above your head. This is one rep.
For heavier weights:
- Lift the dumbbell, placing it on your shoulder.
- Adjust your grip of the dumbbell so your palms face upwards and you grip the handle of the dumbbell in the gap between your two hands. Your fingers should grip the top weight on the dumbbell.
- Tense your core and your triceps, slowly straightening your arms and pressing the dumbbell upwards until it’s raised straight above your head. This is one rep.
Dumbbell Squat and Press
This is another great combo for adding some endurance into your workout.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, or slightly wider, with your toes slightly pointing outwards. Make sure your spine is in a straight, neutral position. Make sure your weight is through your heels. Hold a dumbbell in each hand, cleaned up to shoulder height.
- Squeeze your leg and core muscles as you lower your body downwards. Lower yourself until your butt is an inch or two off the ground. Hold for 1-2 seconds.
- Explode upwards, squeezing your leg and core muscles as you raise yourself up. Push that momentum up through your arms to press the dumbbells above your head. This is one rep.
Dumbbell Bent Over Row
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand.
- Bend forward, keeping your spine in a neutral position.
- Tense your core and both lats, raising the dumbbells up towards your torso, holding at the top for 2-3 seconds.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells back down. This is one rep.
Dumbbell Step Ups
Step ups are a great easy way to strengthen your quads and glutes.
- 1. Find an elevated platform, bench or chair. Place one foot on the platform, making sure it is secure and firmly placed flat. Hold a dumbbell in each hand for added resistance.
- Squeeze your quads in the raised leg to lift your body up and onto the platform.
- Slowly release and lower yourself back down. This is one rep.
- Repeat for the other leg.
Dumbbell Peck Fly
Peck flys are a great way to hit the centre of your chest.
- Lie down flat on a bench or on the floor with a dumbbell in each hand, resting on your tighs.
- Use your thighs to raise the dumbbells up above you, with your palms facing each other.
- Slowly open your arms, keeping your wrists in the same position and with a slight bend in your elbows.
- Tense your chest to bring the two dumbbells back up in the air and together, holding for 2-3 seconds, concentrating on contracting the centre of your chest muscles. . The movement should only occur in your shoulders, not your elbows. This is one rep.
Standing Hammer Curl
Hammer curls are a great variation on the standard biceps curl. They are performed in the same way but you don’t rotate your wrists. The dumbbell remains side on for the entire movement.
Hammer curls work out the three muscles in your biceps in a different way to normal curls, making them a good option to also use. Seated DB Curls
This variation on the bicep curl (or hammer curl) helps prevent any momentum transfer from your legs. This makes it easier to concentrate on the contraction of your biceps.
Seated Dumbbell Military Press
The military press is an excellent way to strengthen and tone your shoulders.
- Sit on a bench with the back raised. Hold a dumbbell in each hand and lift them up to your shoulders. If they’re heavy, use your thighs to help flick them up with some momentum.
- Flex your shoulders, pressing the dumbbells up above your head until your elbows are locked.
- Slowly lower the dumbbells back down to the starting position. This is one rep.
One Knee Push Ups
If you’re struggling to do a full 8-12 reps, do the push-ups on both or one knee as shown above.